In the early Twentieth Century the one acre walled garden must have been an impressive sight. With its extensive glasshouses, including a vine house and peach house, espaliered fruit trees against the walls and neat beds containing a variety of fruit and vegetables, the house would have been almost self-sufficient in fresh produce – essential in those days of course because there was no supermarket down the road for rural Victorians. No doubt the tenants did their best to keep it up during the war when everyone was ‘digging for victory’, but after that, without an army of gardeners to tend to it, the garden declined.
When the Sue Ryder Prayer Fellowship took over the house all manpower was needed to keep the house running and so the walled garden declined further. However, the present Lady Parmoor, a trustee of the SRPF, cherished a dream of restoring the garden and in doing so fulfilling one of Lady Ryder’s aims – to assist those in need. By providing productive voluntary work and education for disadvantaged young people she and a small committee of dedicated volunteers have been able to bring the garden back into productive use and with the aid of grants the first of the glasshouses has been restored.
Many people have already benefited from this project, not least St. Katharine’s kitchen who are proud to tell their guests that not only are the ingredients for their meals fresh, but some of them were growing in the garden that morning! For more information about the Walled Garden Project please click here.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: +44 (0)1494 881037
Sue Ryder Prayer Fellowship (Parmoor) Ltd. Company Reg. No. 7320054
St. Katharine's, Parmoor, Frieth, Henley-on-Thames, RG96NN
Charity Reg. No. 1140727